Terms of your Bus Sign Reservation/Contract
The Student Organization Resource Center (SORC) agrees to render services as stated on the contract; the Advertiser agrees to pay for services as stated on the contract and abide by the following terms.
Payment and Cancellation
- Advertisers are responsible for obtaining information with specific guidelines and deadlines for each type of service. This information is available in print at SORC or here on this website.
- Advertisers may not post bus signs themselves under any circumstances.
- Contracts not paid within 48 hours (2 business days) of origination are subject to cancellation.
- After payment is rendered, cancellations must be arranged with the Manager.
- Cancellations must be in writing (email is best), addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in your request:
- Group name
- Contract number
- Exact dates that you'd like to cancel (you may cancel all or part of your bus sign reservation).
- SOAS/departmental shortcode
Unused materials are generally eligible for a full refund, but require Managerial approval.
SORC student employees cannot grant refunds unless the purchase was made earlier the same day. Refunds will be issued via shortcode credit (no cash) according to the following scale:
|If you cancel your reservation 0 to 7 days before the start date
|If you cancel your reservation 8-14 days before the start date
|If you cancel your reservation 15-21 days before the start date
|If you cancel your reservation 22 days or more before the start date
Submitting Your Bus Signs for Placement
- All materials must be submitted prior to their respective deadlines for placement. NOTE: Deadlines vary greatly during holidays and breaks.
- You are responsible for submitting signs that are the right size. Please revisit the email confirmation that we sent you to make sure you have the right size before you get them printed. If you submit signs that are too large, it is not likely that we will be able to accept them, especially at peak times during the school year when space is fully booked.
- SORC offers a glue-mounting service. This requires as much advance notice as possible.
- This service may not be available during SORC’s peak reservation activity, 8/27 through 9/17 and early- through mid-January.
- SORC reserves the right to refuse last-minute requests for the glue-mounting service.
Construction and Content Requirements
- If you have never used the Bus Sign service before, allow extra time.
- Bus signs must meet construction before submission.
- Bus signs must be glue-mounted on poster board, aka "railroad board," or must be printed directly on material of this thickness. Card stock is not thick enough.
- "Hard lamination" is acceptable; regular lamination is not.
- Rubber cement or glue sticks are recommended for bus signs.
- Spray-mount adhesive is not only toxic and bad for the environment, but it may make your signs look wet.
- Bus signs may not contain any staples.
- Tape is discouraged, but will be accepted as long as the tape is applied neatly and spatial requirements (height, thickness) are met.
- The advertiser is responsible for submitting materials that comply with SORC and University of Michigan content requirements. For more information, visit SORC Eligibility & Content page and vpcomm.umich.edu/brand. Some, but not all, of those criteria are listed here:Some, but not all, of those criteria are listed here: Voluntary Student Organizations (VSO) may not use university marks, including the Block M, split Block M, or “University of Michigan,” “U of M,” or “U-M” preceding the name.
- University departments and Sponsored Student Organization (SSO) must meet University of Michigan specifications for use of Michigan trademarks, and may not alter the Block M or any other university trademark.
- If your organization is an SSO, it is your responsibility to provide written or online verification of departmental sponsorship before bus signs bearing University trademarks are submitted to SORC for placement.
- If someone from your organization submits bus signs that do not meet content or other requirements, your group is not eligible for a refund or dismissal of late fees to produce new signs that meet the requirements.
- The organization’s full name and contact information must appear on all bus signs in letters at least ½” tall in order to be large enough to be read from a normal viewing distance.
- There is a finite amount of space on the buses. If SORC overbooks the space, SORC staff will attempt to accommodate your reservation. If SORC is not able to "squeeze in" your signs, you have the choice of 3 remedies:
- posting at a later date
- credit toward future SORC services
- refund to department or SOAS shortcode, equivalent to the pro-rated value of time lost
- These same three options exist if SORC fails to place materials as scheduled. SORC is not responsible for bus signs that are lost, damaged, vandalized, or removed without authorization. SORC drivers check locations two times per week; corrections are always made when possible. However, it is the advertiser’s responsibility to check their signs regularly (and encourage other group members to observe when riding the bus as well, and contact SORC so that the problem can be addressed as soon as possible. SORC is not responsible for refunds after the fact (if, for example, an advertiser contacts SORC in April to ask for a refund on bus signs that were missing in January).
- Advertiser is not eligible for a refund or credit for lost advertising exposure.
- If you notice that an advertisement is in need of repair, kindly notify SORC.
- If weather, staffing, or equipment conditions prohibit the posting of bus signs, SORC reserves the right to post the signs at a later date (as soon as possible, generally within 24 hours).
- If bus signs were never submitted in the first place, drivers do not e-mail the contact person to find out why the bus signs were not submitted.
After Bus Signs Come Down
- Bus signs are kept, but are immediately placed in the closet, to be sold as “used.”
- An organization may always retrieve its used bus signs from the supply closet at no cost, regardless of how old the material is.
- Since bus signs are recycled, if an organization has two bus sign reservations not in succession, it is necessary to submit two sets of bus signs.
If you have any questions about bus signs that are not addressed here, email us. Thank you!