The Spring-Summer lottery takes place in mid-April every year and includes early May through late September advertising dates
- The 2015 Spring-Summer reservation period encompasses the dates of May 4 through September 21.
- Because of decreased demand between May 4 and August 24, most SORC services are reserved in 4-week periods and are deeply discounted. All services that are placed by SORC staff (Diag boards, Banners, and Bus Signs) are scheduled for four weeks at a time, Monday through Monday, as follows:
- May 4 - June 1
- June 1 - June 29
- June 29 - July 27
- July 27 - August 24
- Exception 1: The Michigan Union banner is still reserved weekly rather than monthly
- Exception 2: Table Tents are not available from 5/4 until 8/30. See below for information about Table Tents in August and September.
- Diag board space rental is FREE during this time. You pay only for us to move your canvas once every four weeks (required).
- Space rental charges for Diag Banners, Bus Signs, Digital Ads, and Glass Showcases are 50% off during this time.
- Weekly reservations resume in August at regular prices and placement deadlines. Even though the prices and duration of exposure are different, you still reserve the spaces now.
- Available dates for Monday-to-Monday services (Diag boards, Diag banner poles, Michigan Union banner) for this time period are:
- August 24 - 31
- August 31 - September 7 (Michigan Union banner not available this week)
- September 7 - 14
- September 14 - 21
- Available dates for Sunday-to-Sunday services (Bus signs, Table Tents) for this time period are:
- August 23 - August 30 (table tents not available this week)
- August 30 - September 6
- September 6 - September 13
- September 13 - September 20
- Note: The Thursday-to-Thursday Bus Sign placement option resumes on September 10 and will be offered in July as part of the "Fall" reservation period.
- Available dates for Digital Ads and Glass Showcases for this time period are:
- August 23 - September 24 (rented by the day, not by the week like the services that are physically placed by SORC students)
Spring-Summer Lottery Timeline
Wednesday, 4/1 Online lottery applications open for Diag Board and Diag Banner reservation appointments for Spring-Summer reservations (advertising for May 4 through September 21).
Wednesday, 4/1 Online lottery applications open for Table Tents and Michigan Union banner for August-September dates.
Tuesday, 4/14 Deadline 10PM to apply for a Spring Lottery appointment for Diag Boards and Diag Banners.
Tuesday, 4/14 Deadline 10PM to enter the random drawing for Table Tents for 8/30-9/21.
Tuesday, 4/14 Deadline 10PM to enter the random drawing for the Michigan Union banner from 8/24-8/31 and 9/7-9/21.
Friday, 4/17 11AM-3PM In-person reservation appointments for Diag Boards and Diag Banners (by appointment).
Friday, 4/17 3PM in-person reservations for May 4 through September 21 continue until spaces are filled; no appointment is needed after April 17 scheduled appointments.
Monday, 4/20 Online reservation requests open for Bus Signs, Glass Showcases, and Digital Ads for May 4 through September 24.
Fall Advertising: A Look Ahead
The Fall lottery takes place in mid-September every year and includes late September through late January advertising dates.
Monday, 5/4 Online Fall lottery applications for Diag boards, Diag banners, Table Tents, and the Michigan Union banner open; remain open until Thursday, September 10, 2015.
Monday, 7/6 (estimated) Online reservation requests for Bus Signs, Glass Showcases, and Digital Ads for September 20 through mid-January 2016 open; remain open until filled. Bus sign reservations for Thursday-to-Thursday placement will resume on September 10 and will also open in early July.
Thursday, 9/10 Online lottery applications for Diag boards, Diag banner poles, Table Tents, and Michigan Union banner close.
Monday, 9/14 Reservation appointments to reserve Diag boards and Diag banner poles take place from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
9/14-9/18 (all week) Winners of Table Tent and Union banner lottery can complete reservations in person or via email.
Learn more about Fall advertising
Why is there a lottery?
- Completing reservations via lottery instead of on a walk-in, first-come first-serve basis does the following:
- maximizes the fairness of access to limited campus advertising resources.
- minimizes the amount of wait time; most advertisers are in and out within 20 minutes. If we didn't have a lottery, you'd be waiting in line for hours.
- allows you to do as much as possible from the convenience of your computer.
Read more about the lottery and its history here