What is your contribution to a just, caring, thriving world?
The Michigan LeaderShape® Institute is an ethics-based leadership development experience for University of Michigan students. Designed to be an interactive, energizing and unique experience that supports and enhances your perceptions and practice of leadership, it is six days of non-stop self discovery and learning from practical experiences that build your leadership concepts and abilities.
LeaderShape® can help you make things happen. Larry Page, co-founder of Google, attended LeaderShape® while a student here at the University of Michigan. In 2009 he returned to campus to deliver our commencement address and credited LeaderShape® in helping teach him to "make dreams real." View his address online here. Countless other LeaderShape® alumni have gone on to make impacts big and small in our local and global communities. LeaderShape® can help you make your own dreams real.
During the program, students are encouraged to make choices, take risks, and develop a vision for change corresponding to their passion. Participants spend the week at Camp Michigania in Boyne City, Michigan exploring the multiple aspects of leadership and getting to know a diverse and dynamic group of fellow students and facilitators. Each student is a unique contributor and leaves feeling energized and more confident to assume leadership in any context. LeaderShape® offers a unique opportunity for personal growth, self-awareness, and a deeper understanding of the student's role as a responsible citizen on this campus, and in the community and society as a whole.
As a participant, you will:
- Become more self-aware of your leadership potential
- Incorporate ethics and personal values in decision making processes
- Recognize and build on the power of teamwork
- Create and implement a long-term vision for positive change.
- Analyze group dynamics in order to maximize individual talents
- Identify important personal values in connection with personal purpose
- Gain a greater awareness of their own leadership and communication style
- Create and map a vision plan
Want proof? Watch this!
Dates & Location
University of Michigan's 2017 LeaderShape® session will occur from February 27th - March 4th, 2017 at Camp Michigania, located in Boyne City, MI.
Participants and facilitators are expected to stay throughout the six days; food and lodging are provided. Transportation is also provided to and from the conference center at the start and end of the program.
Apply to be a Participant
Registered students of UM – Ann Arbor may apply to participate.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the application deadline. To apply, follow the link below to the LeaderShape, Inc. national website; you will be asked to create a profile, if you do not already have one. After creating a profile, you’ll be able to apply. The application deadline is January 13, 2017.
Questions? Contact us at LeaderShape@umich.edu
Here’s what you need to know before the LeaderShape® Institute:
1. The program runs from approximately 8:00 am in the morning until 12:00 a.m. each day. Don’t plan on lots of free time. Participants are expected to stay at the conference site at all times.
2. The week is alcohol free—that means no drinking at anytime for students or faculty. The week is simply too important to allow drinking to be an issue.
3. Dress is casual except for business casual for a guest leader event on day 3. On the second day, you’ll participate in an outdoor challenge course, so be sure and bring one set of “grubby” clothes (including long pants, socks, and athletic or closed-toe shoes) for that activity.
4. Transportation to and from the conference site will be by bus from the UM campus. All students will be expected to depart from the UM campus by bus.
5. All of your meals, lodging, and materials are taken care of so there’s no need to bring extra money.
Looking for LeaderShape Institute Facilitator applications? Head here for more information!