- Most disagreements between the sponsoring unit and the SSO involve risk. The sponsoring unit must protect the University’s interest and cannot accept unreasonable risk.
- Sponsoring units are encouraged to be aware of but not dictate or interfere with the content of the SSO’s program.
- When a sponsoring unit is uncomfortable with a program, such as when it deems the level of risk to be unacceptable, the unit must present the SSO with the choice of continuing with the program or continuing to be sponsored. This decision holds the sponsoring relationship in the balance. See section “Ending Sponsorship” for more information about this process.
SSOs and sponsoring units should avoid finding themselves in this situation by doing the following:
- Meet with the SSO during the planning process of events.
- Educate the SSO about University policies and proper protocol.
- Discuss alternatives. What changes can eliminate the troublesome element while still accomplishing the goal?