Center for Campus Involvement Student Staff Employment Opportunities
The mission of the Center for Campus Involvement is to create meaningful experiences, a vibrant community, and lifelong memories for University of Michigan students. CCI is a dynamic, student-focused department of the University Unions organization.
We typically hire for each academic year over the summer. However, we occasionally have openings during the year; check specific position links for current application status.
The Student Theatre Arts Complex (STAC) is a preproduction facility located in south campus in the south end of the Plant Operations building across from Crisler Arena. It is a resource for student performance organizations to use to build sets, rehearse shows/dances, and to make costumes for their productions. Your responsibilities would include: To open the facility, help students find materials and tools, help with basic construction, monitor facility to issue a safe environment, answer questions, perform basic office work, and lock up at the end your shift.
Organization Peer Advisors (OPAs) will serve as student leaders serving student organization development and involvement on campus. Students will create, plan, implement, and promote student resources, involvement opportunities, and campus programs with an emphasis on University Union (UU) facilities. OPAs will attend weekly meetings in both small and large groups, and assist in the operation of the Center for Campus Involvement (CCI) front desk.
In addition, the Organization Peer Advisor position will be responsible for promoting the success of student organizations on campus, including but not limited to some or all of the following:
- Developing, planning, executing, and evaluating student organization programs
- Managing detailed processes related to the success of student organizations
- Triaging student organization questions and issues via email, phone, and in person
- Promoting student involvement by connecting students with resources and groups on campus
- Coordinating student org meeting space reservations
- Completing day-to-day tasks in support of CCI initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
Clerk C position is a desk attendant at the Student Organization Resource Center (SORC). During the school year, this office is open 10AM-8PM Monday through Thursday, 10AM-6PM Friday.
Clerks complete contracts for SORC services and materials, provide publicity consultation, answer phone calls and emails, refer customers to appropriate university resources, assist guests with copies and faxes, handle money, monitor inventory, prepare balloon bouquets, and carefully process materials submitted by customers for posting by field crew. Excellent written communication skills are crucial, as face-to-face contact with other staff members is minimal.
Clerks must be willing to do unexpected tasks as delegated by the managers. A passion for neatness and organization is essential. This position is the foundation of the services that the SORC provides. It fosters invaluable customer service and problem solving skills that you will use in almost every job in the future.
Motor Vehicle Operator (MVO)
The number of hours for this job are quite flexible; you may work as few as 4 hours a week or as many as 12. SORC is open 10AM-8PM Monday through Thursday, 10AM-6PM Friday. However, MVOs work in the field, and this happens on evenings and weekends, or as needed by clients requesting balloon deliveries. MVO work is primarily:
- Sundays between 10AM-2PM
- Mondays after 5PM
- Thursdays after 7PM (rotating weekly)
- Balloon deliveries as needed by customer demand
- These shifts are filled by a team of drivers, so you do not have to commit to working every shift every week.
Using a university vehicle for transportation, MVOs work with a team of 6-7 other student drivers to distribute advertising items for student organizations and UM departments. Work includes:
- Stapling canvas advertisements onto plywood boards (and removing old ads)
- Attaching and hoisting banners onto steel poles (and removing old banners)
- Placing bus signs on university buses (and removing old ads)
- Placing "table tents" in acrylic sign holders in University Unions buildings (and removing old ads)
- Occasional lifting and repair of 6 x 4-foot plywood Diag boards.
In addition to placing these advertising media, MVOs are also responsible for delivering balloons to multiple campus and off-campus destinations. Although SORC is closed on weekends, we deliver balloons as needed, 7 days a week, almost any time of day; this is based on customer demand and varies greatly from week to week. Typically, all MVOs will have an assigned delivery day. This would be a day on which your class schedule is light; it sometimes requires early morning driving (not every week).
Work also includes basic maintenance of van and equipment.
The Marketing coordinators serve as student leaders in marketing involvement opportunities for the campus community. Coordinators will attend weekly meetings in both small and large groups, and assist in marketing efforts for all of CCI. The Marketing Coordinator position will be responsible for the coordinated marketing efforts of the student programs team, including but not limited to some or all of the following:
- Graphic Design of marketing materials for events and programs
- Assist in the management of CCI social media accounts (i.e. live posting/tweeting at events)
- Photography at events and programs
- Assist in developing marketing campaigns for programs and the office
- Manage the office flyering system
- Other duties as assigned
Program Coordinators will serve as student leaders in creating involvement opportunities for the campus community. Coordinators will:
- Create, plan, implement programs with an emphasis on University Union facilities
- Promote programs to the campus community
- Attend weekly meetings and semesterly trainings in both small and large groups
- Staff at least 3 UMix Late Night events each semester
- Support other large scale programs (i.e. Haunted Bell Tower, St. Patrick’s Day, and other office priorities/programs as needed).