Fall 2018 SORC Advertising
The Student Organization Resource Center (SORC, pronounced "source") offers 6 different advertising services:
- Bus Signs (First-come first-serve)
- Diag Boards (Lottery)
- Diag Banners (Lottery)
- Digital Advertising (First-come first-serve)
- Glass Showcases (First-come first-serve)
- Table Tents (Lottery)
How to Reserve These Services
- To learn more about what each of these services is, click on the embedded links, or click on the "Advertising Services" menu at the top of this web page and choose the service you're interested in.
- The deadline to enter the lottery for any of the above services identified as "lottery" is Thursday, 9/6/18 at 10PM.
- For the services identified as "First-come first-serve," Fall reservationscroll down for more information.
- There are three reservation periods per year: Fall, Winter, and Spring/Summer.
- The Fall reservation period includes all dates between 9/23/18-1/21/19.
- If you are interested in reserving advertising services for any dates prior to 9/23/18, please call, email, or visit SORC now. Those weeks are part of the Spring-Summer reservation period, which opened in April.
- There are 11 new Diag board spaces on the Diag! We will begin taking reservations for these spaces on August 15 at 12PM. There is no lottery for this; reservations will be on a first-come, first-serve basis. The period for which they can be reserved is 8/27-9/24. Dates after 9/24 will be part of the Fall lottery.
- If you are interested in reserving spaces after 1/21/19, there is another lottery in early December for the Winter reservation period. You can join our mailing list to receive timely announcements, and you might want to put a reminder in your calendar to check back on December 1.
- CCI's deadline to re-register your student organization for the 2018-2019 school year is September 30. However, your student org must be registered and approved for 2018-2019 before you reserve advertising spaces for the year. You may apply for the lottery without re-registering, but you must complete Maize Pages registration before your lottery appointment. Visit Maize Pages for more information (this link will open in a new window).
Simply submit your application(s) anytime before Thursday, 9/6/18 at 10PM. Find the buttons below to submit your application(s), but here are some important points:
- Once you submit your application(s), you don't need to do anything until 9/9/18.
- Results of the random lottery drawings for Diag boards, Diag banner poles, and Table Tents will be posted prominently on the SORC website before Monday, 9/10/18.
- Diag banner pole reservation appointments and Diag board reservation appointments will take place on Tuesday, 9/11 and Wednesday, 9/12.
- Banner Pole reservation appointments will be Tuesday, 9/11 between 10:30AM-5:30PM.
- Diag Board reservation appointments will be Wednesday, 9/12 between 10:30AM-8:00PM.
- All appointments take place at SORC, located in the Michigan League Underground.
- What you win in the lottery isn't an assigned space; you win an appointment to meet with SORC staff to reserve the spaces you need.
- A better draw in the lottery means an earlier appointment time and, thus, a better shot at the most desirable spaces.
- These are two separate drawings for Diag board and Diag Banner appointments; you may apply for one or the other or both. If you apply for both, you will have two appointment times, and it is necessary to attend both of them at the scheduled times.
- Appointment times are firm; if you miss the appointment, you've missed your group's best opportunity to reserve the most visible/desirable spaces.
- Anyone from your group can reserve spaces; it does not have to be an authorized signer. That person will need to know the dates, how many spaces to reserve, and an approximate budget. An authorized signer will simply need to authorize the charge before the payment deadline (more below).
- Table Tents require no appointment; a list of winners is posted, and contracts can be finalized either in person or via email.
- The top four organizations in the drawing are the winners. They are given a deadline, by which they can either accept and pay for the space, or decline.
- If a winning group declines or fails to respond by the deadline, that group forfeits its chance. The space is then offered to the next organization on the wait list, and that group has a period of time (usually 2-3 days) to decide.
- This rolling deadline continues until all four spaces for each week are filled.
- Payment for services reserved during Lottery Week is due on Thursday, September 13 by 5PM; you many cancel some or all of your spaces before then without penalty, as long as you haven't signed the contract yet. Once you provide a shortcode and sign the contract, it is considered final, and SORC's contract cancellation fees apply.
First-come, First-Serve Services
Other SORC services are not reserved via lottery, but there is a designated start date to reserve them. The online request forms to reserve Bus signs, Digital advertising, and Glass showcases for the Fall reservation period opened on July 9; there is no deadline per se, but when they are full, they close.
- The request form is online, but if you have never done this before and would like a little extra help, visit SORC between 11-4 weekdays. The student on duty can help guide you through the process and, if you like, can even help you fill out the request form in person. You will need a laptop to do this.
- As of 8/1/18, selection of Bus Sign space is very limited.
Why is there a lottery?
- SORC services are high in demand. The concept of "one-stop" shopping for each organization isn't logistically feasible with this many spaces available. It also is not fair to whatever group ends up at the back of the line.
- If we didn't schedule appointment times, you would wait a very long time to speak to someone who can help you reserve spaces.
- SORC is a student-driven organization. Its work force consists of 16 Michigan students and one full-time staff member. We recognize the importance of spreading out the work over the course of several days so these student employees don't "burn out."
- Completing reservations via randomly assigned appointment times instead of on a walk-in, first-come first-serve basis does the following:
- maximizes the fairness of access to limited campus advertising resources.
- minimizes the amount of wait time; most advertisers are in and out within 20 minutes.
- allows you to do as much as possible from the convenience of your computer.
- Read more about the lottery and its history here
Is this your first time?
If this is your first experience with reserving advertising services, the process can be a little daunting, but we are here to help you!
- SORC is open from 11AM-4PM weekdays from May through August. Just stop in during regular business hours to talk to a knowledgeable SORC student employee who can guide you through the process.
- You can also email us or call 734-764-0436.
- This conversation will take at least 15 minutes, so we kindly request that you arrive or call by 3:30.
- It is perfectly fine to wait until after a consultation to submit your lottery applications. The deadline is September 6; you lose nothing by waiting until the day of the deadline to apply.
Apply for Diag board lottery OPEN NOW
Apply for the Table Tent lottery OPEN NOW
Online Requests Forms for First-Come, First-Serve Services
Request Bus Sign space for Spring-Summer reservation period (Limited availability)
Request Bus Sign space for Fall reservation period (Limited availability)
- Thursday, 5/24/18 Online lottery applications opened for Diag Board and Diag Banner Pole reservation appointments for Fall reservations (advertising for 9/25/17-1/22/18).
- Friday, 5/25/18 Online lottery applications opened for Table Tents for Fall dates (9/23/18-1/20/19).
- Monday, 7/9/18 Online requests open for Bus Signs, Digital Ads, and Glass Showcases for the Fall reservation period.
- Thursday, 9/6 Deadline 10PM to submit Fall Lottery Applications for:
- Diag Boards
- Diag Banners
- Table Tents
- Weekend of 9/8-9/9 Lottery results and instructions will be posted on the SORC website.
- Starting Monday, 9/10 Winners of Table Tent lottery can complete reservations in person or via email.
- Tuesday, 9/11 In-person reservation appointments for Diag Banner Poles for 9/24/18-1/21/18. 10:30AM-5:30PM.
- Wednesday, 9/12 In-person reservation appointments for Diag Boards for 9/24/18-1/21/18. 10:30AM-8:00PM.
- Thursday, 9/13 Deadline to finalize and submit payment for contracts started at lottery appointments.
- Friday, 9/14 In-person reservations for Diag Boards and Diag Banner Poles for 9/24/18-1/21/19 continue; no appointment is needed.