GENERAL INFO about our services
The Student Organization Resource Center (SORC, pronounced "source") provides campus advertising resources and services.
WHO can reserve
- Only University of Michigan departments and registered student organizations are eligible to reserve SORC advertising services.
- Click to read more about general Eligibility & Content requirements.
- Your student organization must be registered for the current academic year on Maize Pages and must have at least 3 confirmed SOAS authorized signers to enter the SORC lottery or reserve SORC services.
- Exception: Diag boards are offered to parents and family members of graduating seniors in late April (the last 2 weeks leading up to Commencement). For more information about the Grad Board program, email the SORC Supervisor.
- Any member of a student organization may request spaces; an authorized signer must verify the charges and approve the contract for it to be legally and financially binding.
- Any representative of a department may request spaces; a full-time staff member of the department with authority to use departmental funds must verify the charges and approve the contract for it to be legally and financially binding.
- SORC exists primarily to serve student organizations. Departments are welcome to use these services, but we take some measures to help ensure equitable access for student organizations, which are often at a disadvantage with budget, timing, and access/awareness:
- We designate 15% of all Bus Sign space for student organizations. (Note: this might increase to 20% if demand for space from student organizations suggests it).
- The first 20% of all Diag board appointments are designated for student organizations, drawn randomly. For example, if we received 90 applications, the first 18 appointments would be student organizations.
- The first 20% of all Banner Pole appointments are designated for student organizations, drawn randomly. For example, if we received 50 applications, the first 10 appointments would be student organizations.
- There are currently no such measures in place for Digital Advertising. The space is not finite like physical space on buses, so we can always accommodate more digital ads (within reason).
- The Center for Campus Involvement provides opportunities for student organizations to earn a week or more of free Digital Advertising each year.
- Table Tents are not currently offered. When that service resumes, similar accommodates will be enacted for student organizations.
WHAT there is to reserve
The Student Organization Resource Center (SORC, pronounced "source") offers 5 different advertising services. Click any link below to learn more about each service.
- Bus Signs (First-come first-serve)
- Diag Boards (Application process)
- Digital Advertising (First-come first-serve)
- Table Tents (Application process)
WHEN to reserve
There are three reservation periods per year: Fall, Winter, and Summer.
- The Summer reservation period opens annually in April. For 2021, the Summer reservation period includes 5/10/21-8/23/21. More information here.
- The Fall reservation period opens annually in mid-Summer. For 2021, the Fall reservation period includes 8/23/21-1/10/22.
- The Winter reservation period opens annually in early December. For 2022, the Winter reservation period includes dates 1/10/22-4/18/22.
- You can join SORC's e-mail listserve to receive timely announcements, and you might want to put a reminder in your calendar to check back later.
WHERE to Reserve
During the academic year, SORC is open 10AM-6PM weekdays. Call ahead for hours during holidays, academic breaks, and summer.
- Some SORC advertising services must be done face-to-face; others can be completed electronically. See "How to Reserve" for a detailed list.
- Ultimately, all materials must be submitted to SORC for placement, so although you can complete a reservation online, you will need to visit SORC in person to submit your materials (exception: digital ads).
- When you sign a contract with SORC, you are reserving the space. You then submit the materials to SORC before the deadline, and we put them up for you. You may not place materials yourself.
Hours of operation for the Fall semester are:
- M-F 10AM-6PM
- Closed on Labor Day, Thanksgiving
- Closed during Fall break
- Closed during Winter break
- Closed during Spring break
Examples of things that need to be done in person:
- Submit materials for advertising contracts
- Retrieve materials after the contract ends
- Pick up tables & chairs
- Pick up balloons
Most other things can be done via video call, phone, or email:
- Reserve Diag boards or Banner Poles
- Request Tables & Chairs
- Request Balloons
- Publicity Consultation
The Student Organization Resource Center (SORC) is located on the 3rd Mezzanine level of the Michigan Union.
HOW to Reserve
- Some services can be reserved electronically; other require a video call appointment or in-person appointment.
- To learn more about each of these services, click on the embedded links, or click on the "Advertising Services" menu at the top of this web page and choose the service you're interested in.
- Reserve Bus Signs (Online space request; verify via email)
- Reserve Diag Boards (Application process, video call appointment)
- Reserve Diag Banners (Application process, video call appointment)
- Reserve Digital Advertising (Online space request; verify via email)
- Reserve Table Tents (Application process; verify via email)
- The deadline to apply for an appointment to reserve Fall 2021 Diag boards or Banners is Wednesday, 8/4 at 4PM.
- All appointments to reserve these services will take place between 8/9-8/13.
- Banner pole reservation appointments will take place on 8/9 via Zoom, unless an in-person appointment is requested.
- Diag board reservation appointments will take place on 8/10-8/13 via Zoom, unless an in-person appointment is requested.
- After that, we will accept reservations on a walk-in basis, no appointment required. If you prefer not to visit in person, email us to request a Zoom appointment.
- Click here to apply for a Diag board appointment THE DEADLINE TO APPLY WAS 8/4. Click here if you would like to request an appointment the week of 8/17.
- Click here to apply for a Banner pole appointment THE DEADLINE TO APPLY WAS 8/4. Click here if you would like to request an appointment the week of 8/17.
Bus Signs and Digital Ads request forms for the Fall reservation period opened on July 15. For these, you just submit the request and we complete your reservation electronically. We fulfill requests in the order in which they are received. Each school/department/student organization is limited to 2 Bus Sign reservations per week.
- Bus Signs
- The earliest available placement date for Bus Signs is August 29.
- There is no deadline for these requests per se, but the earlier you an request the space, the better. Space on the buses is finite; when it's full, the service is no longer available. Many weeks fill up; others do not.
- Request Bus Sign space for Fall 2021
- Digital advertising
- Reservation requests are open for the Summer 2021 reservation period and the Fall 2021 reservation period.
- There is no deadline for these requests per se, but you should allow at least one week before your desired start date, especially if you have never used this service before.
- Unlike Bus Signs, Digital Ad space isn't tightly limited. This means you don't have to plan as far ahead.
- Request Digital Ad space
Fall Advertising Timeline
This reservation period begins on August 23, 2021 and ends on January 10, 2022
- Early May Online lottery applications open for Diag Board and Diag Banner Pole reservation appointments for Fall 2021 reservations (advertising dates 8/23/21 through 1/10/22).
- July 15 Online requests open for Bus Signs and Digital Ads for the Fall 2021 reservation period (8/29/21 through 1/9/22).
- Wednesday, August 4 Deadline 4PM to submit Fall Lottery Applications for:
- Diag Boards THE DEADLINE TO APPLY FOR A FIRST-ROUND APPOINTMENT WAS 8/4. Click here if you would like to request an appointment the week of 8/17.
- Diag Banners THE DEADLINE TO APPLY FOR A FIRST-ROUND APPOINTMENT WAS 8/4. Click here if you would like to request an appointment the week of 8/17.
- Before 5PM August 6 Lottery results and reservation instructions will be posted on this website.
- Monday, August 9 12PM-6:30PM Zoom reservations for Diag banner poles.
- Tue Aug 10 through Fri Aug 13 12PM-7:30PM daily Zoom reservations for Diag boards.
- Monday, August 16 Deadline to finalize and submit payment for contracts started at first-round appointments, 5PM.
- Tuesday, August 17 Second-round Zoom appointments for those who missed the first round. To get an appointment time, just fill out one or both of the Lottery applications (links on this page). We will email you to inform you of the appointment time and provide the Zoom link in that same email.
Apply for a Diag Board appointment THE DEADLINE TO APPLY FOR A FIRST-ROUND APPOINTMENT WAS 8/4. Click here if you would like to request an appointment the week of 8/17.
Apply for a Banner Pole appointment THE DEADLINE TO APPLY WAS 8/4. Click here if you would like to request an appointment the week of 8/17.
Apply for Table Tents LINK COMING SOON
Request Digital Ad space
WHY IS THERE A RANDOM DRAW FOR APPOINTMENT TIMES?
- SORC services are high in demand. The concept of "one-stop" shopping for each organization isn't logistically feasible with this many spaces available. It also is not fair to whatever group ends up at the back of the line.
- If we didn't schedule appointment times, you would wait a very long time (hours!) to speak to someone who can help you reserve spaces.
- SORC is a student-driven organization. Its work force consists of 14-16 Michigan students and one full-time staff member. We recognize the importance of spreading out the work over the course of several days so these student employees don't burn out.
- Completing reservations via randomly assigned appointment times instead of on a walk-in, first-come first-serve basis does the following:
- maximizes the fairness of access to limited campus advertising resources.
- minimizes the amount of wait time; most advertisers are in and out within 20 minutes.
- allows you to do as much as possible from the convenience of your computer.
- Read more about the reservation process and its history here
I COULD USE A LITTLE MORE HELP
If this is your first experience reserving advertising services, the process can be a little daunting, but we can help you!
- SORC is open from 10AM-6PM weekdays during the academic year (closed during academic breaks).
- We are located in Room 3401 (here's how to find the 3rd Mezzanine). However, please consider calling or scheduling a Zoom appointment instead of visiting us in person.
- You can email us or call 734-764-0436.
- This conversation could take up to 15 minutes, so we kindly request that you reach out at least 30 minutes before we close.