General information about SORC Advertising services
The Student Organization Resource Center (SORC, pronounced "source") offers 5 different advertising services:
- Bus Signs (First-come first-serve via online request)
- Diag Banners (Lottery, then by appointment)
- Diag Boards (Lottery, then by appointment)
- Digital Advertising (First-come first-serve via online request)
- Table Tents (NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME)
WHEN to reserve advertising services
There are three reservation periods per year: Fall, Winter, and Summer-September.
- The Summer-September reservation period opens annually in April. For 2020, the Summer-September reservation period includes 7/6/20-9/21/20.
- The Fall reservation period opens annually in July. For 2020, the Fall reservation period includes dates 9/21/20 through 1/17/21.
- The Winter reservation period opens annually in early December. For 2021, the Winter reservation period includes dates 1/17/21 through 5/10/21.
- You can join SORC's e-mail listserve to receive timely announcements, and you might want to put a reminder in your calendar to check back later.
HOW to reserve advertising services
- Some services can be reserved electronically; other require an in-person appointment. To learn more about what each of these services is, click on the embedded links, or click on the "Advertising Services" menu at the top of this web page and choose the service you're interested in. Click any link below to learn more about each service.
- Only University of Michigan departments and registered student organizations are eligible to reserve SORC services.
- Click to read more about general Eligibility & Content requirements.
- Your student organization must be registered for the current academic year on Maize Pages and must have at least 3 confirmed authorized signers to reserve SORC services.
- SORC takes measures to ensure equitable access to student organizations. A portion of available spaces are set aside for student organizations each semester.
- The first 20% of all Diag board reservation appointments are for student organizations.
- The first 20% of all Banner reservation appointments are for student organizations.
- 15% of all Bus Sign spaces are for student organizations.
- The Center for Campus Involvement provides opportunities for student organizations to get a week or more of free Digital Advertising each year.
WHERE to reserve advertising services
Note: in light of COVID-19 safety measures, SORC is currently available only for remote support. Summer-September 2020 reservation appointments will be conducted via Zoom appointments, not in person. To schedule an appointment to reserve Diag boards or Banners via Zoom, email us at the address below.
The Student Organization Resource Center (SORC) is located on the 3rd Mezzanine level of the Michigan Union.
Bus Signs and Digital Ads request forms for the Summer-September reservation period are open now.
- The earliest available placement date is August 2.
- There is no deadline for these requests per se, but when the spaces are full, they close.
- Bus Sign space will be limited to 85% for departments. The remaining 15% will be earmarked and held for student organization use.
- Online space request forms
Why is there a lottery?
- SORC services are high in demand. The concept of "one-stop" shopping for each organization isn't logistically feasible with this many spaces available. It also is not fair to whatever group ends up at the back of the line.
- If we didn't schedule appointment times, you would wait a very long time to speak to someone who can help you reserve spaces.
- SORC is a student-driven organization. Its work force consists of 14-16 Michigan students and one full-time staff member. We recognize the importance of spreading out the work over the course of several days so these student employees don't "burn out."
- Completing reservations via randomly assigned appointment times instead of on a walk-in, first-come first-serve basis does the following:
- maximizes the fairness of access to limited campus advertising resources.
- minimizes the amount of wait time; most advertisers are in and out within 20 minutes.
- allows you to do as much as possible from the convenience of your computer.
- Read more about the lottery and its history here
Is this your first time?
If this is your first experience with reserving advertising services, the process can be a little daunting, but we are here to help you!
- SORC is open from 10AM-6PM weekdays during the academic year (closed during academic breaks).
- You can email us or call 734-764-0436.
You can come see us in person in Room 3401 (here's how to find the 3rd Mezzanine).
- For the time being, SORC students are available remotely during the hours listed above. Call or email, and the student on duty will respond as soon as possible.
- This conversation could take up to 15 minutes, so we kindly request that you reach out at least 30 minutes before we close.
Not relevant at this time:
"I ENTERED THE LOTTERY. NOW WHAT DO I DO?" Results of the random lottery drawings for Diag boards, Diag banner poles, and Table Tents will be posted prominently on the SORC website before 12PM on Friday, 4/24/20. Anyone from your group can reserve spaces; it does not have to be an authorized signer. That person will need to know the dates, how many spaces to reserve, and an approximate budget. An authorized signer will simply need to authorize the charge before the payment deadline (more below). What you win in the lottery isn't an assigned space; you win an appointment to meet with SORC staff to reserve the spaces you need. A better draw in the lottery means an earlier appointment time and, thus, a better shot at the most desirable spaces.
Payment for services reserved during Lottery Week is deferred until early July; you many cancel some or all of your spaces before then without penalty. Once you provide a shortcode and sign the contract, it is considered final, and SORC's contract cancellation fees apply.
"I MISSED THE APPLICATION DEADLINE. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?" We will begin taking reservations for leftover Diag Board and Banner Pole spaces on a first-come, first-serve basis starting Monday, May 4. Because SORC is operating virtually for the time being, it will be necessary to schedule and appointment in advance. First-come, first-serve services remain open until filled.