GENERAL INFO about SORC Advertising services
If you want to reserve Diag boards or Banners for Winter, we can help you without an appointment between 12PM-3PM weekdays. Just click below to join us via Zoom! This is an open meeting that you can join anytime; you don't need to announce yourself. When you "arrive," you'll be in the Waiting Room. A supervisor will either admit you right away, or they'll message you about the expected wait time if SORC staff is tied up with another client or task.
The Zoom link is:
If you would like to reserve spaces but can't make it during those hours, email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time that is convenient for you!
The Student Organization Resource Center (SORC, pronounced "source") offers 5 different advertising services:
- Bus Signs (First-come first-serve via online request)
- Diag Banners (Lottery, then by appointment)
- Diag Boards (Lottery, then by appointment)
- Digital Advertising (First-come first-serve via online request)
- Table Tents (NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME)
There are three reservation periods per year: Fall, Winter, and Summer-September.
- The Winter reservation period opens annually in early December. For 2021, the Winter reservation period includes dates 1/17/21 through 5/10/21.
- The Summer-September reservation period opens annually in April.
- The Fall reservation period opens annually in July.
- You can join SORC's e-mail listserve to receive timely announcements, and you might want to put a reminder in your calendar to check back later.
- Some services can be reserved electronically; other require an in-person appointment. To learn more about what each of these services is, click on the embedded links, or click on the "Advertising Services" menu at the top of this web page and choose the service you're interested in. Click any link below to learn more about each service.
- Only University of Michigan departments and registered student organizations are eligible to reserve SORC services.
- Click to read more about general Eligibility & Content requirements.
- Your student organization must be registered for the current academic year on Maize Pages and must have at least 3 confirmed authorized signers to reserve SORC services.
- SORC takes measures to ensure equitable access to student organizations. A portion of available spaces are set aside for student organizations each semester.
- The first 20% of all Diag board reservation appointments are for student organizations.
- The first 20% of all Banner reservation appointments are for student organizations.
- 15% of all Bus Sign spaces are for student organizations.
- Special Pricing/Discounts for Winter 2021
- We are offering extended discounts to Departments for long-term reservations for the Winter 2021 reservation period. 6+ consecutive weeks = 25% off. 12+ consecutive weeks = 50% off.
- Student organization pricing for Bus Signs and Digital Ads is 50% off for the Winter 2021 reservation period.
- The Center for Campus Involvement provides opportunities for student organizations to get a week or more of free Digital Advertising each year.
SORC is open 10AM-6PM Monday through Friday until December 18.
However, please consider calling or scheduling a Zoom appointment with us for those things that do not require in-person contact.
Examples of things that need to be done in person:
- Submit materials for advertising contracts
- Retrieve materials after the contract ends
- Pick up tables & chairs
Most other things can be done via Zoom, phone, or email:
- Reserve Diag boards or Banner Poles
- Request Tables & Chairs
- Request Balloons
- Publicity Consultation
To schedule an appointment via Zoom, email us at the address below.
The Student Organization Resource Center (SORC) is located on the 3rd Mezzanine level of the Michigan Union.
- The deadline to apply for lottery services is Monday, January 4 at
2PM. EXTENDED TO 6PM! There is no benefit to applying early; just submit before the 1/4 deadline. The draw is random.
- All appointments to reserve these services will take place between 10:30AM-5PM 1/6-1/8.
- Diag board reservations will be conducted 1/6-1/7 via Zoom, generally; we will accommodate in-person reservations for those who request it.
- Banner pole reservations will be conducted on 1/7 via Zoom; we will accommodate in-person reservations for those who request it.
- If you miss the 1/4 deadline, we can help you reserve spaces on Friday, 1/8! Just submit the request form and it will tell you what to do.
- As a means of supporting the fight against COVID by minimizing touchpoints, we are temporarily discontinuing Table Tents as an advertising medium. They will not be able for the Winter 2021 reservation period.
- Click here to apply for the Diag board lottery (applications are not open at this time)
- Click here to apply for the Banner pole lottery (applications are not open at this time)
Bus Signs and Digital Ads request forms for the Fall reservation period are open now.
- For these, you just submit the request and we complete your reservation electronically. We fulfill requests in the order in which they are received.
- The earliest available placement date for Bus Signs is January 17. If you want your ads to be up before then, we need them within the next week. Our last placement date of the Fall semester is 12/13.
- There is no deadline for these requests per se, but when the spaces are full, they close.
- Bus Sign space will be limited to 85% for departments. The remaining 15% will be earmarked and held for student organization use.
- Online space request forms
EQUITABLE ACCESS TO SORC SERVICES
- SORC exists to serve student organizations. Departments typically know their budget and programming needs earlier than student organizations. This is especially relevant for the Fall semester, for which reservations open in July. By the time student organizations resume activity in late August, Bus Sign space would already be full for the entire semester without accommodations in place. To that end, as of Fall 2019 and continuing indefinitely, we take the following measures to ensure equitable access to our services for student organizations:
- We earmark 15% of all Bus Sign space for student organizations. (Note: this was 20% in Fall 2019 and Winter 2020; the demand from student organizations did not exceed 15% on any week in the semester, so we are decreasing to 15% for Fall 2020).
- The first 20% of all Diag board appointments are earmarked for student organizations, drawn randomly. For example, if we received 90 applications, the first 18 appointments would be student organizations.
- The first 20% of all Banner Pole appointments are earmarked for student organizations, drawn randomly. For example, if we received 50 applications, the first 10 appointments would be student organizations.
- There are currently no such measures in place for Digital Advertising. The space is not finite like physical space on buses, so we can always accommodate more digital ads.
- Table Tents are not currently offered. When that service resumes, similar accommodates will be enacted for student organizations.
- Thursday, 12/3 Online requests for Bus Signs and Digital Ads open.
- Monday, 12/7 Online lottery applications for Diag Boards and Diag Banner Poles open.
- Monday, 1/4/21 Deadline
2PMEXTENDED TO 6PM to submit Winter Lottery Applications for:
- Tuesday, 1/5 Lottery results and instructions will be posted.
- Wednesday, 1/6 - Friday, 1/8 Zoom reservations for Diag Boards and Diag Banner Poles for 1/17/21-5/10/21. Appointments will take place between 12PM-5PM each day.
- Friday, 1/8 Zoom appointments for those who missed the lottery, 12PM until finished. To get an appointment time after the lottery closes, just fill out one or both of the Lottery applications (links on this page). We will email you to inform you of the appointment time and provide the Zoom link in that same email.
- Friday, 1/8 5PM Deadline to sign contracts for Winter reservations made during lottery appointments. Payment will be processed later.
- Monday, 1/11 Zoom appointments continue for those who missed the lottery.
- Tuesday 1/12 and beyond Open Zoom call every day 12PM-3PM. No appointment needed! Just click on the link on the word "Zoom"
Apply for the Diag Board lottery (applications not open at this time - see above for open Zoom assistance!)
Apply for the Banner Pole lottery (applications are not open at this time - see above for open Zoom assistance!)
Request Bus Sign space for Winter (1/17 through 5/9)
WHY IS THERE A LOTTERY?
- SORC services are high in demand. The concept of "one-stop" shopping for each organization isn't logistically feasible with this many spaces available. It also is not fair to whatever group ends up at the back of the line.
- If we didn't schedule appointment times, you would wait a very long time to speak to someone who can help you reserve spaces.
- SORC is a student-driven organization. Its work force consists of 14-16 Michigan students and one full-time staff member. We recognize the importance of spreading out the work over the course of several days so these student employees don't "burn out."
- Completing reservations via randomly assigned appointment times instead of on a walk-in, first-come first-serve basis does the following:
- maximizes the fairness of access to limited campus advertising resources.
- minimizes the amount of wait time; most advertisers are in and out within 20 minutes.
- allows you to do as much as possible from the convenience of your computer.
- Read more about the lottery and its history here
I COULD USE A LITTLE MORE HELP
If this is your first experience reserving advertising services, the process can be a little daunting, but we can help you!
- SORC is open from 10AM-6PM weekdays during the academic year (closed during academic breaks).
- We are located in Room 3401 (here's how to find the 3rd Mezzanine). However, please consider calling or scheduling a Zoom appointment instead of visiting us in person.
- You can email us or call 734-764-0436.
- This conversation could take up to 15 minutes, so we kindly request that you reach out at least 30 minutes before we close.