Resources for Student Organizations


Room Rental

Central Campus Diag & Gerstacker Grove

Trotter Multicultural Center

Services for Students with Disabilities


Publicity Sources

Storage Space


Mail Files


Strategic Partners

Leadership Development and Workshops

Room Rental

University Unions

University Unions consists of the Michigan Union, the Michigan League, and Pierpont Commons. As a registered student organization, you get discounted rates at all UU facilities. Reservations must be completed by one of your authorized signers.

Go to - Policies

Go to- University Unions Room Reservation

Rooms/Auditoria in LSA Buildings

Rooms are available to student organizations, and have a cost associated with them, depending on the seating capacity of the room. An authorized signer needs to fill out a LSA Room Request and then send it via email to [email protected]. These requests must be submitted two weeks in advance. Please note that SOAS does not have access to check availabilities of these rooms.

Go to - LSA Room Capacity Information

Go to - LSA Technology Services Room Information

Go to -Mason Hall classroom, visit the SOAS website

Open - Room Request (XLS)


The Central Campus Diag and North Campus Grove space is managed by the Center for Campus Involvement and can be reserved by Student Organizations and campus partners. 

DIAG Policies and Procedures

Outdoor Space Request


Trotter Multicultural Center

The Trotter Mulicultural Center (TMC) has a two fold purpose, to promote a campus and a community environment in which all students can prosper academically and socally. To promote and provide services to build a supportive environment in which all students can develop a better understand and appreciation for the multicultural diversity represented at the University. 

  • Free, reservable meeting and event space:
  • Opportunities for students orgs to host events
  • Student organization office space
  • Audio/visual equipment for rental
  • Open seven days a week during the academic year

Services for Students with Disabilities

Services for Students with Disabilities strives to improve access to University programs, activities, and facilities for students with disabilities. This office can help your organization in providing a truly barrier-free event. Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD), (734) 763-3000.


The Student Organization Resource Center (SORC) is designed to complement the services provided by Campus Information Centers (CIC) and the Center for Campus Involvement (CCI). Here are just a few non-publicity services that SORC can help you with:

  • Diag Boards
  • Meeting Space (4th Floor Conference room, MU)
  • Banner Poles
  • Bus Signs
  • Showcases
  • Table Tents
  • Digital Ads
  • Banner Production Room
  • Balloons
  • Copy/ Fax

Publicity Sources

Maize Pages

Maize Pages is an informative directory of all student organizations on our campus. As soon as an organization is registered, their information is available online at Maize Pages. Add an event on Maize Pages and it is automatically synced to Happening @ Michigan events page.

Happening @ Michigan

All student organizations are automatically signed up for the University of Michigan’s events calendar, Happening @ Michigan is free and accessible to thousands of people.

Storage Spaces

Student Org. Storage Space

Student organizations can apply for office space in the Michigan Union, Michigan League, and Trotter Multicultural Center via the Maize Pages form. Space applications are reviewed by the student-led Office Space Allocation Committee (OSAC). More information and links to the applications can be found here


Student organizations must be in good standing on Maize Pages to be eligible to apply, receive, and maintain Storage space. OSAC Committees will select organizations that can demonstrate organizational effectiveness and added value to the University community. OSAC Committees will seek to select organizations that together create a multi-faceted community (e.g. large and small, different goals and purposes, different types of organizations). All decisions for allocating storage space will be conducted in a content neutral manner. 


Basic Website

Student organizations are able to have a website hosted by the University. Authorized signers for the student organization can request a group directory from the ITCS Accounts Office. This process will create a URL for your organization (e.g. and your organization's SOAS account will be charged an annual fee.

Creating a Web site

Anyone with an IFS home directory can set up a home page on For step by step instructions on how to create a Web page for your student organizations visit the UMWeb help page. The instructions for building a personal and group home page are very similar. Both are detailed on the ITCS Web site.

Go to - ITS: Web Hosting

Advanced Web Technology

If your student organization wants to have PHP, Drupal, or databases enabled on your site, it is possible. To request these services you will have to have a virtually hosted site. 

Go to - ITS: Virtual Hosting

To sign up for Virtual Hosting for your site you need to follow these steps:

  1. Set up a group home directory on ITS: Andrew Filing System.
  2. Contact the Center for Campus Involvement (CCI) at [email protected] or 734-763-5900. An authorized signer will have to approve the recurring annual charge for the student organization. CCI will send a confirmation email to the signer and ITCS.
  3. Once approved by CCI, fill out the Virtual Hosting Request.

Go to - ITS: Andrew Filing System FAQ

When granted, your site will be a sub-domain of

Mail Files

If you have a need for a mailing address, Central Student Government offers your organization a FREE way to do this. Mail files are located at CSG’s front desk area and can be accessed between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM on weekdays during the Fall/Winter terms. Please check with CSG for Spring/Summer schedules.

  • You must register for a mail file by the end of the first month of each term in order to have a mail file for that term.
  • Your group will not receive a new mail file until you receive mail specifically addressed to you.
  • Due to our limited space, we cannot maintain mail files which solely receive promotional mass mailings and advertisements.

To set up your mail file, please email [email protected]

Mail for your group should be picked up weekly. CSG is not responsible for notifying groups that they have received mail. If your mail file has not been checked in one month and/or is stuffed with a large amount of specifically-addressed mail, your contact person will be notified once. The mail file will be discontinued, its contents thrown away, and all further correspondence returned to sender if the situation persists.

The address your student organization should use if you have a mail file at CSG is:

Your student organization’s name

3011 Michigan Union

530 S State

Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1308


Funding Sources

Funding sources are available to student organizations currently registered at the University of Michigan from several departments and units. Altough CCI tries to maintain current information from these sources, we advise your student organization to inquire about in areas outside this list. Please be aware that every funding source has a different funding application process and disbursement method (reinbursement, check, SOAS deposit, etc.).

Funding Your Event

Finding the necessary money and resources for holding your event or program can often be as time consuming and difficult as the planning or implementation. Here is an acceptable format for writing a funding proposal, and some fund raising strategies and ideas.

Basic funding sources for student organizations include:

  • fees and admissions,
  • sales (tangible products, services, advertising, etc.),
  • contributions and solicitations,
  • co-sponsorships,
  • university allocations,
  • exchange of goods/services and

University Support

There is a variety of offices and departments on campus which are willing to help fund various student organization-events. All student organizations must be recognized by the University to receive funding from most of these sources. Keep in mind that funding requests should be concise, accurate, and easy to understand. Also remember that U-M funding committees look favorably on organizations that use a variety of fundraising ideas and sources. Be sure to be clear if you are asking just for financial support or if you are asking for the University Unit to sponsor your event. Be sure to complete an Event Sponsorship Agreement.

University Policy on Fundraising

Student organization funds fall into two categories: University and non-University funding. University funds come from the University or one of its units, including CSG. Student organizations can raise their own non-University funds through many means. Non-University funds may be given directly to charity. Since many student organizations get funds from both University and non-University sources, SOAS will set up a Designated Fund (DF) Account to handle charitable donations. Student organizations can use donations/ allocations from the University or one of its units for the development and enrichment of the student organization in accordance with the University mission. University funds may not be used as or for gifts to charitable organizations. Please see the University funding guidelines.

Go to - Designated Fund Account

Go to - Policies

Funding Activities

All proceeds of events held on University grounds or in University facilities must be deposited into the organization’s University Fund account, and can be used for the following purposes only:

  • To benefit organizations defined in Sections 170(B)(1)(A) and 501(c)(3) of the Internal  Revenue Code.
  • To benefit a substantial segment of the student body, faculty, or staff.
  • To aid the accomplishment of lawful and legitimate University-related purposes of the sponsoring organization itself.

Student organizations must provide adequate assurance that the funds generated are used for the purpose described above. The University will refuse to disburse funds for purposes which are against University policy and/or do not fall within the procedures described in this guidebook.


If a donor (i.e. an individual or a corporation) is expecting to make a tax-deductible monetary donation, that is possible only in the following situations:

  1. Your organization has 501(c)(3) status. Your organization will provide the contributor with your tax-exempt information.
  2. Your organization accepts a donation that is given through your national organization, which has 501(c)(3) status. In this case, the national organization will acknowledge the contributor.
  3. Your organization is affiliated with a University department/office and uses a departmental account, where the funds will be deposited. The department will take care of acknowledging the contributor.

If your organization does not fit in any of the above situations, you may accept monetary donations, but you must inform the donor they will not be tax deductible for the donor. Donations that are not monetary, but are goods or services (i.e. t-shirts, printing services) may not fall into this category; please seek advice from a tax professional regarding all tax issues.


Raffles require a permit from the State Lottery Commission. Your organization must have 501(c)3 status. The sale of raffle tickets is prohibited on University property including the Diag without express written permission. For more information regarding raffles and other gaming, visit the Office of the Vice President & General Counsel’s raffle and gaming FAQ.

Use of University Funds: Limitations on Use of University Funds

These guidelines apply to funds distributed directly from University of Michigan schools, colleges, centers, institutes, departments, offices, and programs to recognized student organizations. These guidelines also apply to University funds distributed by sponsored student organizations, such as the Central Student Government, school and college student governments, the Residence Hall Association, the Black Student Union, and the University Activities Center, to recognized student organizations. Those sponsored student organizations, however, may adopt more focused or restrictive funding guidelines, provided that they otherwise comply with University policies.

Student Organizations May NOT Use University Funds for the Following Activities:

  • Political campaign activities. “Political campaign activities” include advocating for or against a candidate for federal, state, or local elective office; advocating for or against the adoption of legislation on a federal, state, or local level by contacting, or urging the public to contact, members or employees of legislative bodies; and advocating for or against the qualification or adoption of a state or local ballot initiative.  This does not preclude use of University funds in connection with activities discussing political issues or involving expression of political or controversial viewpoints.  For more information on what constitutes political campaign activities, and the University’s guidelines with respect to various political-related activities, please visit the Public Affaris & Internal Communications Political Campaigns page.
  • Staff salaries. Student organizations may not use University funds to support the salaries of full- or part-time employees who are not directly hired/appointed by U-M.
  • Illegal activity.
  • For-Profit activities.
  • Charitable donations to organizations outside the University.
  • Alcohol and tobacco products.
  • Religious exercise. University funds cannot be used to provide direct support of religious worship.  This prohibition does not preclude use of University funds in connection with activities involving the expression of religious viewpoints nor does it preclude groups that engage in religious worship from receiving funding for other activities.

The University of Michigan applies its funding guidelines in a viewpoint-neutral manner and is committed to working with all recognized student organizations to ensure appropriate access to all University benefits, including funding. If you have any questions about whether your activity is eligible for funding under this policy, please contact the Center for Campus Involvement at 734-763-5900 or [email protected].

Non-University Funds

Non-University Funds may be raised in many ways, including but not limited to membership dues, alumni donations, off-campus fundraising, and grants (from Non-University sources).  Unlike with University funds, student organizations may use non-University funds for any lawful purpose.

If your student organization raises its own funds and wishes to use those non-University funds to make a donation to charity, SOAS will set up a dual-account system to keep University funds separate from charitable donation funds.

Off-Campus Accounts

Some student organizations maintain off-campus accounts. This practice is strongly discouraged. No student organization can use the University’s name or EIN to open an outside account.

Charitable Contributions

The ability to benefit from the University’s tax status is one of the defining characteristics of sponsored status.  When the possibility of a charitable contribution is present, sponsoring units may accept the contribution through the mechanisms University Development has in place.

Sponsored Student Organizations

In general, the Sponsoring unit may accept the charitable contribution for the SSO. SSOs, through their sponsoring unit, have the administrative support and mission alignment with the University necessary to adequately manage charitable contribution.

The Sponsoring unit must provide guidance and oversight for charitable contributions to SSOs, complying with the intentions of the donor and the law.

Voluntary Student Organizations

Generally, the University may not accept a charitable contribution on behalf of a VSO. VSOs do not represent the university.  Consequently VSOs do not have the authority or the oversight necessary to administer contributions for the University. If a VSO has its own charitable status under Internal Revenue Code Sec. 501(c)(3), it may accept the gift on its own authority and may process it under its own procedures.

The only case where the University can accept a contribution to a VSO, is when the VSO has completed an Event Sponsorship Agreement (ESA). An ESA covers one event only and gives the VSO access to the benefits of sponsorship for that one event. All contributions accepted under the ESA must be tracked and accounted for during and after the event.

Any other situations where the University may wish to accept a charitable contribution on behalf of a VSO should be approved by Center for Campus Involvement, which will consult with General Counsel, the Tax Department and the appropriate development office.

Strategic Partners

The University of Michigan has Strategic Partners that work with our shortcodes to streamline our purchasing. You can find vendors for event planning, tshirts, giveaways, catering/food options, etc. The search tool is found through procurement services.

Go to - Procurement Services