The SORC offers many employment opportunities for University of Michigan students. All of these positions allow students to gain practical experience in a customer service environment. We also have a lot of fun!!!
- Clerk C
- Motor Vehicle Operator (MVO)
As of December 2, 2022 the status of these two positions is:
- Clerk C positions for the Winter semester are open. We will be onboarding a new "cohort" in January. Please apply for the Clerk C position if you would like to be considered for Winter.
- All MVO positions are filled. Please apply for the MVO position if you would like to be contacted as a mid-semester replacement (if someone leaves) or for Fall 2023 employment.
If you apply, we will always accept applications, keeping them on file for one year and contacting you for an interview if there is an opening.
Entry level job descriptions:
We typically hire and train new clerks twice per year, in early Fall and early Winter. All Fall 2022 positions are filled. If you apply now, you will be considered for the Winter 2023 cohort.
This position is the foundation of the services that the SORC provides. It fosters invaluable customer service and problem solving skills that you will use in almost every job in the future. Clerks perform the following tasks during their shifts:
- Write contracts for SORC services and materials
- Inflate and assemble balloon bouquets
- Provide publicity consultation
- Answer phone calls and emails
- Refer customers to appropriate university resources
- Assist guests with copies and faxes
- Monitor inventory
- Assist student organizations with table/chair rental for outdoors
- Process materials submitted by customers for posting by MVOs (see description below).
- Excellent written communication skills are crucial, as face-to-face contact with other staff members is minimal.
- Comfort with variety in day-to-day tasks and willingness to be a team player.
- A passion for consistency, neatness, and organization.
Numerous opportunities for additional duties and pay are available to SORC Clerks, as early as their second semester.
$15.00 per hour
Motor Vehicle Operator (MVO)
We are not actively recruiting MVOs at this time. We will hold your application and contact you if someone leaves unexpectedly.
If you are a good problem solver, think on your feet, and enjoy working outdoors, the MVO job might be for you! MVOs perform the following tasks during their shifts:
- Drive a university vehicle with a team of up to 4 other MVOs who:
- Deliver balloon bouquets on and off campus
- Staple canvas advertisements onto plywood boards
- Attach and hoist banners onto steel poles
- Place bus signs on university buses (must be done on Sundays)
- (Occasionally) lift and repair 6 x 4-foot plywood Diag boards.
- A valid driver license, knowledge of Michigan traffic laws (whether licensed in Michigan or not), and excellent driving record are required.
- MVOs must have very good communication skills and be willing to cooperate with the managers on project-specific needs.
- MVO work is generally evening and weekend work, with the exception of balloon deliveries (we deliver as needed, 7 days a week, almost any time of day; a driver is recruited based on his/her availability outside of classes).
- MVOs must be willing and able to work in inclement weather.
MVOs can start almost any time of the year. If interested, they can earn additional pay by completing Clerk C training, which happens in September and January.
$16.00 per hour
Opportunities for undergraduate advancement beyond entry level:
Student Balloon Coordinator (SBC)
THIS POSITION IS CURRENTLY FILLED.
Work includes coordination of balloon orders during one's clerical hours, both for events and individual recognition. Requires completion of balloon orders during hours when SORC is not open, often early mornings and weekends. The SBC will have a supervisory role over clerks assisting with balloon orders. The SBC is also responsible for rotation of stock and regular inventory of balloon supplies. At least one semester of experience as a Clerk C is desired. This is a dual appointment with Clerk C.
THIS POSITION IS CURRENTLY FILLED.
Work includes providing administrative services during hours when the Supervisor is not on duty, including follow-up on contracts, preparation of a nightly deposit, inventory management, filing, update of training resources, training of new employees, data entry, and some scheduling of staff. Most of this work is done while performing clerical duties during SORC hours. The Student Manager will have a supervisory role over Clerks when the Supervisor is off duty, and will be sometimes expected to receive personal calls and texts to help Clerks. The Student Manager will also be required to fill in as an MVO or SBC if needed. At least one year of experience as a Clerk C is required, plus at least one semester as an SBC or MVO.