Entry level job descriptions:
Clerks complete contracts for SORC services and materials, provide publicity consultation, answer phone calls, refer customers to appropriate university resources, assist guests with copies and faxes, handle money, monitor inventory, prepare balloon bouquets, and carefully process materials submitted by customers for posting by MVOs (see description below). Excellent written communication skills are crucial, as face-to-face contact with other staff members is minimal. Clerks must be willing to do unexpected tasks as delegated by the managers. A passion for neatness and organization is essential. This position is the foundation of the services that the SORC provides. It fosters invaluable customer service and problem solving skills that you will use in almost every job in the future.
All positions for Clerk C have been filled except one: One of these new hires will be a Computer Science & Engineering student who, in addition to the Clerk duties above, will help manage our Google spreadsheets for tracking thousands of advertising reservations each semester. If you are interested in that role specifically, please choose "Clerk C - CSE" on the job application (see link below).
Starting pay for 2017-2018 academic year: $9.79 per hour
Motor Vehicle Operator (MVO)
Work includes driving a university vehicle, delivering balloon bouquets and food packages on and off campus and notifying recipients of delivery, stapling canvas advertisements onto plywood boards, attaching and hoisting banners onto steel poles, placing bus signs on university buses, placing "table tents" every Sunday, and occasional lifting and repair of 6 x 4-foot plywood Diag boards. MVOs must have very good communication skills and be willing to cooperate with the managers on unexpected tasks. Generally evening and weekend work, with the exception of balloon deliveries (we deliver as needed, 7 days a week, almost any time of day; a driver is recruited based on his/her availability outside of classes). MVOs must be willing to work in inclement weather. A valid driver license, knowledge of Michigan traffic laws (whether licensed in Michigan or not), and excellent driving record are required. This is a dual appointment with Clerk C; in order to accept the MVO position, one must also work a minimum of 3 Clerk C hours per week.
Starting pay for 2017-2018 academic year: $10.88 per hour
Graduate Student Assistant
Work includes leading undergraduate student learning outcomes initiatives, assisting with the coordination of a prominent, popular outdoor space on campus, and special projects as needed.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree and be enrolled in a graduate program. Although this does not have to be a University of Michigan program, you must be able to be on campus at least 4 days a week for work.
- Commitment to working with students and an appreciation for the college student development process.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, are crucially important. Experience in a retail customer service environment is beneficial.
- Must possess good leadership and time management skills.
- Must have an understanding of and appreciation for diversity and be able to interact and work effectively with students, staff, faculty, and community members.
- Strong knowledge of computer apps (Microsoft Office and Google shared products) is necessary.
- The successful candidate will be organized, resourceful, creative, self-motivated, flexible, responsible, reliable, detail-oriented and a natural self-starter.
- This is an academic year appointment, starting in late July to mid-August and ending on approximately May 1. Candidate must be able to work 15-20 hours per week. The work schedule varies from week to week, but will typically include 10-12 hours per week on Diag management and meetings with student leaders. The remaining 4-6 hours will consist of staff meetings, training sessions, and other needs, ranging from early morning to late evening any day of the week (based on demand).
Starting pay: $14.75
Opportunities for undergraduate advancement beyond entry level:
Student Balloon Coordinator (SBC)
Work includes coordination of balloon orders during one's clerical hours, both for events and individual recognition. Requires completion of balloon orders during hours when SORC is not open, often early mornings and weekends. The SBC will have a supervisory role over clerks assisting with balloon orders. The SBC is also responsible for rotation of stock and regular inventory of balloon supplies. At least one semester of experience as a Clerk C is desired. This is a dual appointment with Clerk C.
$9.93 per hour
Work includes providing administrative services during hours when the Supervisor is not on duty, including follow-up on contracts, preparation of a nightly deposit, inventory management, filing, update of training resources, training of new employees, data entry, and some scheduling of staff. Most of this work is done while performing clerical duties during SORC hours. The Student Manager will have a supervisory role over Clerks when the Supervisor is off duty, and will be sometimes expected to receive personal calls and texts to help Clerks. The Student Manager will also be required to fill in as an MVO or SBC if needed. At least one year of experience as a Clerk C is required, plus at least one semester as an SBC or MVO.
$10.88 per hour