Terms of your Diag board reservation contract
Payment and Cancellation
- Advertisers are responsible for obtaining information with specific content guidelines and deadlines for each type of service.
- Advertisers may not post Diag boards themselves under any circumstances.
- Contracts not paid within 48 hours (2 business days) of origination are subject to cancellation. Advertiser will be absolved of financial obligation for this contract if SORC cancels it.
- Read SORC’s cancellation policy here.
- After the contract is finalized and deposited with SORC's nightly deposit, cancellations must be in writing, directed to email@example.com. SORC Clerks are not authorized to grant refunds/cancellations. Include in your cancellation request:
- Group name
- Contract number
- Exact dates that you'd like to cancel (you may cancel all or part of your reservation).
- SOAS/departmental shortcode
- If you miss the submission deadline, you are not eligible for compensation for time lost.
- Unused materials are generally eligible for a full refund, but require approval from a Student Manager or the SORC Supervisor.
- Student employees who are not Managers can grant refunds for materials if the purchase was made earlier the same day.
|If you cancel your reservation 0 to 7 days before the start date||0% refund|
|If you cancel your reservation 8-14 days before the start date||25% refund|
|If you cancel your reservation 15-21 days before the start date||50% refund|
|If you cancel your reservation 22 days or more before the start date||75% refund|
- All materials must be submitted prior to their respective deadlines for placement. NOTE: Deadlines vary greatly during holidays and breaks.
- ADVERTISER is responsible for submitting signs that are the right size.
- Diag boards are placed on Monday evenings; generally, they must be submitted to SORC by 3:00 p.m. on the day they're scheduled to go up.
- They can be submitted anytime prior to this deadline.
- When SORC is closed for a holiday or semester break, Diag boards are due on the last business day before the Monday placement.
- See a detailed chart of deadlines and late placement options at the links below:
- Advertisers may not post Diag boards themselves under any circumstances.
Construction and Content Requirements
- Materials must meet spatial and construction requirements before submission.
- Generally, the plywood boards onto which SORC drivers attach your Diag board are 66" tall and 42" wide, but we accept materials that are slightly smaller or slightly larger than that. You will be most satisfied with the appearance of your ad if you submit materials the are the same height and width as the plywood. If you have material that is wider than 42", allow an appropriate margin on all edges accordingly.
- All Diag boards must be made of canvas or vinyl. Paper, bed sheets, and laminated items will not be accepted.
- You may not use tape, staples, contact paper, laminates, or any other adhesive materials. You must use marker or paint directly on the canvas. Use permanent markers or acrylic latex paint; markers are available at SORC. Vinyl lettered canvases made by a professional sign company are also acceptable.
- Diag board canvas is available at SORC for $3.00 per foot. Free samples of material are available if you would like to purchase the material elsewhere.
- Click on this link for further instructions on How to Make a Diag board.
- The advertiser is responsible for submitting materials that comply with SORC and University of Michigan content standards. For more information, visit SORC Eligibility & Content page and vpcomm.umich.edu/brand. Some, but not all, of those criteria are listed here:Some, but not all, of those criteria are listed here: Voluntary Student Organizations (VSO) may not use university marks, including the Block M, split Block M, or “University of Michigan,” “U of M,” or “U-M” preceding the name.
- University departments and Sponsored Student Organization (SSO) must meet University of Michigan specifications for use of Michigan trademarks, and may not alter the Block M or any other university trademark.
- If your organization is an SSO, it is your responsibility to provide written or online verification of departmental sponsorship before Diag boards bearing University trademarks are submitted to SORC for placement.
- If someone from your organization submits Diag boards that do not meet content or other requirements, your group is not eligible for a refund or dismissal of late fees to produce new materials that meet the requirements.
- The organization’s full name and contact information must appear on all Diag boards in letters at least 2” tall in order to be large enough to be read from a normal viewing distance.
- If SORC double-books a space, the group whose contract was completed first will be honored, and the SORC supervisor will attempt to contact the other ADVERTISER and accommodate the its advertisement at a different location. If a different location cannot be agreed upon within one business day, the remaining reservation will be canceled, and the ADVERTISER has the choice of multiple remedies:
- posting at a later date
- credit toward future SORC services
- other solution to be negotiated with Supervisor
- If SORC staff fails to place advertisements as scheduled, the advertisements will be placed as soon as the oversight is noted. The SORC supervisor will communicate with the ADVERTISER to negotiate compensation for the lost time. Typically, this consists of:
- Place advertisement at better location if one is available.
- Leave advertisement up longer if relevant.
- Free services to supplement Diag board advertising (digital advertising, for example).
- If timing does not allow for any of the above, a credit toward future SORC services in the pro-rated value of the missed exposure time will be issued.
- If you notice that an advertisement is in need of repair, kindly notify SORC.
- If weather, staffing, or equipment conditions prohibit the posting of advertisements, SORC reserves the right to post the signs at a later date (as soon as possible, generally within 24 hours). This happens rarely, and usually only because of severe weather, such as a tornado, blizzard, or extreme cold. When SORC is able to place ads within 24 hours of the scheduled start date, SORC not responsible for refunding time lost.
- If an advertisement is never submitted, SORC does not have the responsibility of contacting the organization to find out why.
- SORC drivers check locations two times per week during the academic year (once per week during the summer). Corrections are always made when possible. However, it is the advertiser’s responsibility to check their advertisements regularly (and encourage other group members to observe when out and about on campus as well), and contact SORC so that the problem can be addressed as soon as possible.
- SORC is not responsible for the replacement cost of advertisements that are damaged, vandalized, or found to be missing.
- If an advertisement is found to be missing or is vandalized to the point that the ADVERTISER wishes to take it down, SORC is not responsible for the replacement cost of the advertisements (the materials). However, the Supervisor of SORC will negotiate a mutually agreeable course of action with the ADVERTISER.
- If the ADVERTISER suspects theft:
- The equipment is University of Michigan property; the advertisement itself is the ADVERTISER's property.
- Thus, if you suspect that someone stole your advertisement, it is your organization's right to file a complaint with the Department of Public Safety and Security. Call 734-763-1131. This is the same phone number for emergencies, so as a courtesy, please tell the dispatcher right away that your call is not an emergency. They will respond accordingly.
- The supervisor of SORC can be contacted for further details, if requested by DPSS officer.
- If the ADVERTISER does not respond within 3 business days, the remainder of the reservation will be canceled. SORC is not responsible for refunding the space rental charges that were paid at the start of the reservation.
- If the ADVERTISER opts to replace the adverti, there will be no additional labor cost to the ADVERTISER. SORC staff will place the ad as soon as possible.
- If the ADVERTISER opts to cancel the remainder of the organization's reservation, a credit for the full amount of unused space will be issued.
- SORC is not responsible for refunds after the fact. For example, if an ADVERTISER fails to submit (or retrieve and resubmit) advertisements in January, then contacts SORC in April to ask for a refund for the missed advertising time, the ADVERTISER is not eligible for a refund at that point.
After advertisements come down
- Advertisements are kept for two weeks after the take-down date. After that, storage space contingent, they will be discarded.
- After the two-week mark passes, Diag boards are eligible to be sold as "Used." Unclaimed advertisements (banners and Diag boards) are recycled through a program with the Office of Campus Sustainability. For more information about SORC sustainability initiatives, email the Supervisor.
- If you have an ad that goes up, comes down, and goes back up again weeks later, this does not happen automatically.
- It is the ADVERTISER’s responsibility to retrieve the item and re-submit it for placement.
- This can be done either in person, by phone, or by email.
- SORC employees are happy to retrieve an advertisement from the "taken down" pile and put it back into the "to go up" pile, but we need a prompt from the ADVERTISER.
- SORC employees have no way of knowing what your intentions are for which ads you want to go up at which time, so please help us by communicating regularly throughout the duration of your contract.
- An organization may always retrieve its old Diag advertisements from storage, regardless of how old the material is if it has not yet been sold.
If you have any questions about Diag boards that are not addressed here, email us. Thank you!