Terms of your Diag board reservation contract
The Student Organization Resource Center (SORC) agrees to render services as stated on the contract; the Advertiser agrees to pay for services as stated on the contract and abide by the following terms.
Payment and Cancellation
- Advertisers are responsible for obtaining information with specific content guidelines and deadlines for each type of service.
- Advertisers may not post Diag boards themselves under any circumstances.
- Contracts not paid within 48 hours (2 business days) of origination are subject to cancellation. Advertiser will be absolved of financial obligation for this contract if SORC cancels it.
- Read SORC’s cancellation policy here.
- After the contract is finalized and deposited with SORC's nightly deposit, cancellations must be in writing, directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. SORC Clerks are not authorized to grant refunds/cancellations. Include in your cancellation request:
- Group name
- Contract number
- Exact dates that you'd like to cancel (you may cancel all or part of your reservation).
- SOAS/departmental shortcode
- If you miss the submission deadline, you are not eligible for compensation for time lost.
Unused materials are generally eligible for a full refund, but require Managerial approval. SORC student employees cannot grant refunds unless the purchase was made earlier the same day.
Refunds will be issued via shortcode credit (no cash) according to the following scale:
|If you cancel your reservation 0 to 7 days before the start date||0% refund|
|If you cancel your reservation 8-14 days before the start date||25% refund|
|If you cancel your reservation 15-21 days before the start date||50% refund|
|If you cancel your reservation 22 days or more before the start date||75% refund|
Submitting Your Diag board canvas for Placement
- All materials must be submitted prior to their respective deadlines for placement. NOTE: Deadlines vary greatly during holidays and breaks.
- You are responsible for submitting signs that are the right size.
- Diag boards are placed on Monday evenings; generally, they must be submitted to SORC by 3:00 p.m. on the day they're scheduled to go up.
- They can be submitted anytime prior to this deadline.
- When SORC is closed for a holiday or semester break, Diag boards are due on the last business day before the Monday placement.
- During the academic year, Diag boards can be submitted after 3:00 on Monday and still be placed that night, but a late fee of $10 per canvas will be assessed.
- During the Spring-Summer, since SORC is closed on weekends, we accept them until 3:00 on Monday without a late fee.
- During the school year, Diag boards can also be submitted on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday before 5:00. A $10 late fee will be assessed, and the canvas(es) will be placed during the SORC mid-week Follow-up Route on Thursday evening.
- During the Spring-Summer, our drivers can only place new canvases once a week (on Mondays).
- Advertisers may not post Diag Banners themselves under any circumstances.
Construction and Content Requirements
- Materials must meet spatial and construction requirements before submission.
- Generally, Diag boards are 72" tall and 48" wide, but the viewing space is only 66" tall, 42" wide, since the canvas is wrapped around a plywood board. Allow a 4-6" margin on all edges to be safe.
- All Diag boards must be made of canvas or vinyl. Paper, bed sheets, and laminated items will not be accepted.
- You may not use tape, staples, contact paper, laminates, or any other adhesive materials. You must use marker or paint directly on the canvas. Use permanent markers or acrylic latex paint; markers are available at SORC. Vinyl lettered canvases made by a professional sign company are also acceptable.
- Diag board canvas is available at SORC for $3.00 per foot. Free samples of material are available if you would like to purchase the material elsewhere.
- Click on this link for further instructions on How to Make a Diag board.
- The advertiser is responsible for submitting materials that comply with SORC and University of Michigan content standards. For more information, visit SORC Eligibility & Content page and vpcomm.umich.edu/brand. Some, but not all, of those criteria are listed here:Some, but not all, of those criteria are listed here: Voluntary Student Organizations (VSO) may not use university marks, including the Block M, split Block M, or “University of Michigan,” “U of M,” or “U-M” preceding the name.
- University departments and Sponsored Student Organization (SSO) must meet University of Michigan specifications for use of Michigan trademarks, and may not alter the Block M or any other university trademark.
- If your organization is an SSO, it is your responsibility to provide written or online verification of departmental sponsorship before Diag boards bearing University trademarks are submitted to SORC for placement.
- If someone from your organization submits Diag boards that do not meet content or other requirements, your group is not eligible for a refund or dismissal of late fees to produce new materials that meet the requirements.
- The organization’s full name and contact information must appear on all Diag boards in letters at least 2” tall in order to be large enough to be read from a normal viewing distance.
- If SORC double-books a space, the groups whose contract was completed first will be honored, and SORC staff will attempt to accommodate the other group at a different location. If SORC is not able to do this, you have the choice of 3 remedies:
- posting at a later date
- credit toward future SORC services
- refund to department or SOAS shortcode, equivalent to the pro-rated value of time lost
- These same three options exist if SORC fails to place materials as scheduled.
- SORC is not responsible for Diag boards that are lost, damaged, vandalized, or removed without authorization. SORC drivers check locations two times per week; corrections are always made when possible. However, it is the advertiser’s responsibility to check their signs regularly (and encourage other group members to observe when out and about on campus as well), and contact SORC so that the problem can be addressed as soon as possible. SORC is not responsible for refunds after the fact. If, for example, an advertiser contacts SORC in April to ask for a refund on advertisements that were missing in January, it is too late.
- If you notice that an advertisement is in need of repair, kindly notify SORC.
- If weather, staffing, or equipment conditions prohibit the posting of Diag board canvases, SORC reserves the right to post the signs at a later date (as soon as possible, generally within 24 hours).
- If a canvas is never submitted, SORC does not have the responsibility of contacting the organization to find out why.
After Diag board canvases come down
- Diag board canvases are kept for two weeks after the take-down date.
- After the two-week mark passes, one-sided canvases are placed in the SORC supply cabinet, to be sold as "Used." Two-sided canvases or canvases that are not usable are recycled.
- An organization may always retrieve its old Diag board canvases from the supply closet at no cost, regardless of how old the material is.
If you have any questions about Diag boards that are not addressed here, email us. Thank you!